I've never been thrown out of anything that I can recall. But I got thrown out of chemotherapy! My last  chemo was scheduled for May 20, but my neutrophils didn't measure up. So, I got booted from the program. Everyone asks "delayed til when?". Actually, not delayed but stopped. The purpose of the chemo I receive is to make the tumor more penetrable by the radiation. Since my radiation treatment ends (May  26) before I would be able to get another chemo dose, I am finished with chemo. Trust the experts--of course I asked three experts and got the same answer before buying in! But I missed the bell ringing; the end of chemo was a non-event.

However, radiation wrapped up on Wednesday, May 26. Instead of ringing the bell on the radiation floor they gave me a card and a bell pin. When I checked out on the main floor of the James, the receptionists all gave me a standing ovation from behind their plexiglass. The doctor reported that the results of my treatment meet the best expectations.  He's very pleased with the tumor shrinkage. 

Backing up a bit, after my doctor's appointment on May 14, I was sent to get fluid infusion because my blood pressure was low and my heart rate was high.  After a liter of fluids, the nurse checked my vitals and didn't like the results--worse, not better--so she carted me to the ER. They drew lots of blood and gave me more fluid, poked and prodded, took an x-ray and sonogram and eventually released me. Then  Saturday evening after a lovely visit with friends on their deck, I came home and found I had a fever. Much consultation and the on-call people said to go the the James, in their immediate care center. Long story short, after more blood draws and another liter of fluid, I went home. Told to watch my temp and stay hydrated. So Glenn has turned into a water hawk. "where's your water? How much have you drunk?" He's a wonderful partner through this. I really appreciate his care and watchfulness.  






Now it's a matter of waiting while all of the ducks get lined up and I move on to monthly immunotherapy. I'm waiting most anxiously for my esophagitis to heal so I can eat potato chips and drink coffee again.

Gari


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog