May 1, 2021




Let's start with the numbers: 

6 chemo treatments, 3 down. That's 50% behind me. 30 radiation treatments, 12 down. Wait for it (while I get out my calculator) that's 40% behind me. 

Really continue to tolerate the treatments very well. And the folks at the James are great. When I have a side effect like indigestion or heartburn or constipation, they say "we have a pill for that!" And it works! I have developed thrush and that's something that doesn't go away with a pill; I'm using the mouth rinse to keep it at bay.

So even though I'm at the halfway mark with chemo, I'm still marveling at the Benadryl high. I'm not getting any more tolerant of it. This time I did know to stop talking immediately when I was no longer  able to construct a sentence. So, I turned off the chatter and very smoothly picked up my water bottle. The problem was I couldn't seem to get it in my mouth! After three tries resulting in hitting my chin and not being able to figure our how to slide the bottle up to my lips, I put the cap on and decided to wait. The picture is me holding onto my water bottle until I'm cool enough to actually get it to my lips. Glenn says I was giggling like a little kid! 

The 'thrill of Benadryl' must becoming widely known. I was in Walgreen's this week and there is a sign "Only 2 packages of Benadryl and you must be able to prove you are over 18"

I know the chemo is working because I'm starting to lose hair. The James people tell me that with my type of treatment usually the patient's hair thins, but they don't bald.  As we all know about me, I'm starting in a deficit position when it comes to having enough hair to give up some. Seeing Magic Mindy the hairdresser on Monday to get a new cut to hide the problem. We'll see just how magical she is. 

I think I mentioned that I'm participating in a study funded by Pelatonia to understand the impact of this treatment on older patients. Next week is the midpoint of the study so I will have a new PET scan and an MRI of my heart, so I will be kept hopping next week. I rather be on the beach.

Journey on!

Comments

  1. Congrats on the halfway mark.
    And good luck with the newdo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Gari! You’re doing just fine. Half a mile down the road and only another half mile to go. Know that we’re all routing for you and sending you our love and hugs from across the ocean. 👍🏻🤗❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog